Thursday 15 October 2015

Finishing the Construction of my Personal Maya Model

It was a struggle but I have completed my Personal Maya Model. I mean, it hasn't been rigged yet but it is a fully formed 3D character and to me that is pretty cool. Looking at the finished model, the idea of creating a character that could fit into a Pixar film for example does not seem entirely unrealistic. This program is where it all starts. And even though I would definitely not be able to say I could just whip out a Buzz Lightyear in a day on it, I do now see that with a huge amount of time learning the craft and honing the skills on the software these things are entirely possible for anyone to do, they are not just unrealistic dreams.





When it came to be the day before we had to have completed our Maya model I completely underestimated the time it would take to finish. Where I had thought it would take maybe three hours tops to complete it ended up taking me ten hours straight to get it finished. This is to many things, I feel I am a slow learner, particularly at anything that requires a great deal of technical intricacy.

It also became quite intimidating to look around at other people who were were many steps ahead of me on the Maya model construction. I know my slowness was on me and I should have planned my time more effectively, especially on something I knew I would struggle with. Towards the end of the models construction I began to find myself becoming impatient with how long it was taking. If I ever would make a really small mistake, my attitude was just to move on and not dwell on it, then hope it wouldn't matter later. How wrong I was. These mistakes did end up catching up to me and when it came to UV mapping, that is where I had truly tripped myself up. There were vertacies where they shouldn't be and other multiple eras that might appear small but matter just as much as any mistake that was more visible. In the end I did end up having to receive a lot of help to undo these errors which turned out to be very time consuming. Basically the lesson was, don't rush. Lesson learnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment