Wednesday 18 March 2015

Sketchbooks

Aside from our briefs we are set, many of us do our own personal work in our spare time. For example, outside of university I do gag cartoons for a newspaper called The Weekly News. When ever I want to submit cartoons to the newspaper I would usually draw about four and send off four at a time, then the newspaper would often pick one out of the four.




I really enjoy doing these drawings because even though the gags are tailored more to the over 60's and sometimes it's very difficult to come up with a gag. But they provide the perfect opportunity to have unlimited creative freedom and I can also improve on various aspects of drawing, such as drawing from life with drawing many different characters.




The above images are part of a storyboard I did for a friend who's a writer. The storyboard was for an independent film that will hopefully one day be released. I really enjoyed wprking on this storyboard. Although it was at times very difficult and time consuming, it was also a great experience in how to create a story board, but, had I the opportunity to do the whole thing again I would make the individual images less complicated.




The above images are caricatures I drew to be developed into caricatures, so they basically are caricatures in the early stages. So I would draw a quick sketch in my sketchbook. Sometimes I would have to draw multiple sketches to get the caricature right. But then when I had drawn a sketch I feel like works as in the basic caricature is there, it just needs to be slightly altered, that's when computers come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment