Sunday 9 November 2014

The Amazing World of Gumball



The Amazing World of Gumball is an American animated series about a blue cat called Gumball and his adopted goldfish brother Darwin. The two characters frequently get themselves into weird situations due to poorly thought out schemes. I really like the series because to me, nothing is less interesting than a central character who is cool, popular and smart. I cannot see how anyone would find this concept interesting. One of my main problems with Adventure Time, to me an otherwise great show is that the main character is too cool and popular. To me your protagonist needs to be a bit of a loser because it gives you something to root for.



The character Gumball is likable to me because he is a bit of a loser, and an idiot.



When I began watching the show, initially I didn't like the animation style. As you can see from the images, the show uses so many different styles of animation and design. There are characters that are rendered in 3D and there are simply 2D animated characters with outlines (see Gumball's family). When I began watching the show I felt this was not inventive, it just made everything look messy. A friend of mine who loved the style explained to me that it's a show for Graphic Designers. Since then I have come to appreciate and love the style, now I understand messiness is kind of the point of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment