Monday 3 November 2014

Storyboard Research: My Neighbour Totoro



Of course I had to look at Studio Ghibli when it came to creating my story-boards, whether my final story-board would look anything like something Hayoa Myazaki has made. My final story-board did not but his work still has influence.

I actually own a copy of the book 'Art of My Neighbour Totoro' which is an amazing book. Particularly because it shows you everything; character designs, background designs and story-boards.



Hayoa Myazaki drew all the storyboards for the film and even though he works in a very different style to my own I still have a deep appreciation for his work. Firstly, its all water-coloured. This is a process I struggle with immensely but Myazaki is able to get some really nice natural colours out of it. It is also important that a lot of colour is included in his storyboards to specify exactly what the scene is going to look like, e.g. above we can see it is evening because of the tones, see the slightly orange sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment