Thursday 6 November 2014

Hayoa Myazaki's Ponyo

The other day I watched the Studio Ghibli animated film Ponyo. I had seen Hayoa Myazaki's other works in the past such as Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and The Wind Rises, all three great films so I went in with a certain level of confidence. But, I had heard that the film was perhaps more childish than his other films. I've learnt from watching his movies to not always expect Spirited Away. Totoro is a very innocent film with very few adult themes, whereas The Wind Rises is obviously aimed at a much older audience and generally covers adult and political themes.



But when it came to watching Ponyo I went in expecting something very, very innocent with almost no sense of danger. What I got actually surprised me because the film does contain adult themes. To me its not just about a goldfish (Ponyo) who comes onto land and turns into a human. It's about deciding who you want to be in life, growing up and taking on responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment