Sunday 22 November 2015

Painting the Influence Weights of my Personal Maya Model

Ah, this was tricky. Usually when I would get a bit stuck throughout this process Matt's tutorials would help me out a great deal., But as I have mentioned before, his model and my model look very different so of course painting the influence weights is going to be very different. Painting the weights is basically the process of making sure that if I move an arm joint for example, it only moves the arm, not part of the head as well which it did before I had painting the weights.

Luckily my partner Matt had just finished this process so his model, with a similar physicality to my own proved to be a very good guideline to how I should paint each of my joints.


Throughout this step I tried to keep in mind that my character didn't need to move perfectly. He's not quite a teddy bear, more a bag of cookie dough. With this in mind I new that his body shape didn't have to remain completely consistent with every move.







As you can see, it isn't perfect, he's slightly limited in how he moves. But luckily this doesn't matter too much as the point of the character is that he is slightly faulty. The main thing is, his mouth moves, so he can talk, his eyebrows move, so he can express emotion, his legs move and bend so he can walk and his arms move.

Overall I am happy with how my personal Maya model is turning out and there's just a few final tweaks and tidying up to do before I am ready to animate.

No comments:

Post a Comment