Sunday 22 November 2015

Orienting the Controls of my Personal Maya Model

Before I carry on I need to insert a footnote, basically for my own benefit.

When it comes to orienting controls, even though it might seem kind of boring, just check all the controls work before proceeding any further because you will run into problems and the effort of having to go back and correct these problems has proven to me to be far more time consuming then if I just double check immediately after.

Anyway, connecting the controls to each joint was pretty simple, the most important thing with this step was just to keep organised with everything I was doing. Meaning that some of my actions might not be immediately visible. For example one mistake I kept making was backtracking.

Throughout this entire process the 'edit-undo' button has pretty much been my best friend. I accepted very early on that it's completely okay to make mistakes and even if I have to go back far it's all about learning curves. Having said that sometimes it is literally too easy to undo my actions. Because all I have to press is 'Z' sometimes I can be a bit reckless with my button tapping and when I was doing the controls I found that I would make a mistake with orienting one joint then undo it but accidentally go back too far, for example, if I only wanted to undo orienting the left wrist joint I would also accidentally undo the elbow and shoulder joints. These errors I wouldn't pick up on until later in the process so it would go unseen until it trips me up.

Anyway after a few hiccups, the orienting of the controls is complete and now it is finally time to bind the joints to the mesh to create a fully physical model!


No comments:

Post a Comment