Tuesday 19 May 2015

The Model Part 2

So we had encased the model in plaster and we then had to take the clay off the now dry plaster. With this clay we then flattened it and built up walls around the dry plaster. As some of Garfield's Brother's body was sticking out (where it was sitting in the clay floor) we had to then fill in these walls with plaster. Now we had two halves of now dry plaster so it was time to pull out the plasticine mould of my character. Unfortunately this process did cause damage to my plasticine model and it was fair to say it never quite looked the same again after that.

Now I had two dried plaster halves and a cast in the middle. Then I poured the expanding the liquid expanding foam that our final models would be made out of into the cast through the hole in the cast (Garfield's Brother's feet). It was hard to tell how much of this liquid I would need since it expands so it was essentially a case of a bit of calculating and guessing. When my foam cast had hardened, I tried to remove the two plaster halves.

It was wielded very tightly shut. I had put on a liquid substance in the cast for the purpose that it wouldn't stick to the foam model, but obviously this had not been very successful because I was finding it very hard to detach my foam model from the plaster. Eventually it came free but I wasn't too satisfied with the results. The face was obviously the most intricate part of the model and that is where most of the foam got stuck, some of it got ripped off while detaching it from the clay. Furthermore I feel that I didn't use enough liquid as the mould came out very light and not very dense which meant it was hard to see the little details in the model.

But after giving it a second go, my second foam model came out looking far more dense. But I wouldn't say I was a hundred percent happy with this second result. I feel like I could have done with another session to give this process a few more goes to make a more successful model.

No comments:

Post a Comment