Thursday 21 May 2015

Research Into Childline

One key piece of feedback I received early in the module about my progression into the project was that an extensive amount of research was key. I needed to know the subject matter I was dealing with in great depth, so basically I had to research ChildLine as much as I could so I could figure out exactly how to make an animation for the charity.


Upon hearing that a massive amount of research was key, I thought the best thing to do would be to get primary research of my own instead of secondary, so actually volunteer in one of ChildLine's help centres. Unfortunately I found this to be a far harder task than previously anticipated and I realised just how much commitment I would have had to put in. I would have had to be willing to donate a few hours of my time a week for at least the next few months. I would have been fine with this, but it became evident to me fairly early on that this would take away from time I should be spending working on my animations.

I also received feedback about my plan and was advised that I sounded a little bit too much like a method actor and a far more effective use of my time would be to still research ChildLine in depth, but to do this through secondary research into ChildLine, so their website.

So this is my secondary research...

I knew of the charity ChildLine, but it wasn't until I started my research did I realise how little I actually knew about it as an organisation. ChildLine do not just deal with one issue, they deal with depression, child abuse, divorce, pregnancy, substance misuse, parental separation etc. Anyway I realised that if I was going to make an effective animation it would make more sense to narrow down my subject matter, for example focus one one issue rather than ChildLine the charity as a whole.

I decided to focus on Depression, the reasoning for this was because of all the issues that ChildLine deal with, I felt I knew the most about this issue, not to say I was an expert, but I definitely did know more about this subject than child abuse for example.


Upon narrowing the subject matter of my animation I found this page on ChildLine's website that deals primarily with depression and it aided me throughout the project.

Most the statistics I found about ChildLine were provided by the NSPCC who provided the charity ChildLine.

ChildLine Timeline:

  • October 1986- Esther Rantzen launches ChildLine
  • 2006- ChildLine became part of the NSPCC
  • October 2009 - ChildLine website launches
  • 2012/13 - Website receives 2.4 million visits

ChildLine Statistics:
  • In 2014 ChildLine Counsellors answered 508,943 contacts from young people asking directly for help, advice and protection
    • 55,000 of these used their online one-to-one emailing service
  • 810,000 young people visited the service after September 2009
  • Every ten minutes ChildLine is contacted with a report about child abuse or a child's safety
  • The main concerns ChildLine are contacted about:
    • 29% Neglect
    • 20% Physical Abuse
    • 16% Sexual Abuse
    • 13% Emotional Abuse
  • Then the remain 22% of contacts relate to a range of other issues including family relationships, adult behaviour and child health
  • ChildLine began it's service in October 1986
  • Launched by Esther Rantzen
  • ChildLine spoke to 23,000 children in it's first year
  • ChildLine became part of the NSPCC in 2006
  • 2009- ChildLine's website launched
  • In the year 2012/13 ChildLine's website's visits jumped 28% from the previous year with 2.4 million visits
  • A Child contacts ChildLine every 20 seconds
  • ChildLine counsellors get over a million calls a year from children
  • 300,000 in depth direct counselling sessions were carried out with children and young people in 2013/14
  • ChildLine has nearly 1,400 volunteers
  • ChildLine has helped over 3.2 million children and young people since it's launch
  • During 2012/13 ChildLine counselled 278,886 young people and children
    • Also dealt with a further 10,961 contacts from young people over concerns about another child
  • For first time more counselling took place online (59%) over telephone (41%)
  • Contacts about self harm increased by 41%
    • 50% rise in contacts from 12 year olds about self harm
  • 33% increase in suicidal counselling
    • 43% increase among 12 - 15 year olds
  • 60 of referrals were on behalf o actively suicidal
    • 14% increase from 2011/12
  • 87% increase in concerns about online bullying
  • Counselling about racist bullying increased by 69%
    • 1,400 counselling sessions took place in 2012/13
  • Over 35,000 young people came to ChildLine struggling with depression and unhappiness
    • Depression and unhappiness was the top reason why young people contacted ChildLine in that year
  • 40% more counselling with young people about money problems than previous year
  • Out of the young people who contacted ChildLine with wellbeing concerns...
    • 56% one to one chat
    • 22% email
    • 22% phone
  • In 63% of counselling sessions, the young person told ChildLine their age
    • 13% 11 and under
    • 31% 16-18
    • 56% 12-15
16-18 Year Olds Statistics

  • ChildLine dealt with 54,003 contacts from young people aged 16-18 in 2012/13
    • Third of all contacts received in that year
  • Suicidal thoughts and feelings - third most common reason for young people to contact ChildLine that year
    • Represented 7% of all counselling provided to this age group
    • Majority of these sessions were with 17 year olds
Gender Statistics

  • In 2012/13 ChildLine counselled 147,302 girls
    • 53% of all sessions
  • In 2012/13 ChildLine counselled 48,351 boys
    • 17% of all sessions
  • In 83,233 sessions (30%) gender of the young person was not disclosed
  • Girls contact ChildLine about self-harm much more than boys
    • 4th most common reason for girls to seek support
    • Ratio of girls to boys concerned about self-harm is 15:1 in 2012/13
  • Among girls, suicidal thoughts and feelings is on the rise
    • Top 10 concern in 2011/12
    • Top 5 concern in 2012/13
  • Mental health issues - top 10 concern for girls
  • 95% increase in girls talking about feeling excluded or isolated as a result of being bullied


No comments:

Post a Comment