Tuesday 19 May 2015

Applied Animation Development: Putting my 2D Drawn Animation With My Stop Motion Lego Animation

So, I had all my Jpegs from the footage I had taken of Lego bricks and now it was time to put these Jpegs together with my hand drawn animation. This was essentially a case of opening up my 2D scenes on Photoshop where each frame is a layer and placing the Lego Jpegs behind the layers with the girl on it. Then I would save the two layers together and have my final Jpegs.


Above is an example of a final Jpeg where my 2D drawn animation has been combined with my Lego stop motion animation.

When I placed the images together I was very happy with the result. I had seen plenty of Lego animations in the passed so knew that animating with Lego was nothing knew but off the top of my head i couldn't think of any animations where Lego was only used to animate the backgrounds so I felt that this idea was going to be a risk and could either work or just look wrong.

But, when I played back a scene of footage that featured the girl walking towards the camera and the Lego moving in the background I felt it looked very successful. At first I felt that the lego moved a little too fast and could look a bit jarring to the viewer. But because I used Lego bricks that mostly weren't too bright and colourful and instead opted for more beige bricks, it looked far easier on the eyes. 

I also liked how compositionally it made the girl stand out more since she is completely white on a coloured background. I then felt that there was no need to colour her in as this could make her stand out less let alone shade her which saved me a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment