Saturday 11 October 2014

Storyboarding Hey Diddle Diddle

This is my initial storyboard for the nursery rhyme 'Hey Diddle Diddle'. I have taken a few liberties with the source material in that I went completely off track from the original nursery rhyme. I like to think my storyboard works as a nice spin-off to the original tale telling the continued story of what happens after the dish and the spoon run off together.

In my case I wanted a darker tone to the nursery rhyme so decided to have both characters be drug addicts and to be on the run from the law after a drug deal goes wrong with the cow. The idea being that the cow was supposed to wait for the dish and the spoon so they could all escape to the moon together but it actually ended with cow ditching the two characters on Earth to be pursued by the police.



In the past I have always been a bit lazy when its come to storyboards and have often taken the rather ignorant view that they are unnecessary. But in the end this has just been down to laziness and an impatience to begin working on an animation. I have to say I really enjoyed the experience. Matt and I were discussing how nursery rhymes always seem to have dark themes behind them and how Hey Diddle Diddle was probably written by someone who was high as a kite. That's when we joked about the characters in the rhyme being drug addicts and how the spoon could just boil heroin on his face.

I then thought this could make a funny storyboard so rushed through it in keeping with the perspective of a high spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment