Tuesday 10 February 2015

Visual Language: Take 5

We were given a new brief as part of Visual Language. The brief was to listen to around fifty different sounds and then to draw different experiments for each to eventually develop these drawings into a set of five animations that last less than five seconds, contain no obvious features such as faces so be abstract and no writing.

At the start I had no idea how to approach the project. It was very wide in what we could do, meaning there are no wrong answers to how we represent and animate sound. The idea of being able to do pretty much whatever we want was quite massive and I didn't know where to start.

Since coming up with a drawing out of nowhere is a massive challenge I used inspiration from life beginning with a dream I had. Sound 012 reminded me of the sound of a massive wave. This led me onto remembering a dream I had some time ago. In the dream it was basically a massive deep blue coloured tsunami that just grew and grew thousands of meters into the sky. I remembered this dream because of how intimidating and real this wave felt, plus everything in the dream was blue. When I listened to the sound I was brought back to this dream.

I drew the wave from this dream and then animated it with fine line pen on layout paper. After scanning the pages and opening on Photoshop, I inverted the pages with the channel blue so it would come out that the background would be black with white outline.

Before


 After


I liked the effect this had on the animation and when playing it back, I feel it really added something to the final thing.

Below are the initial drawings I sketched upon first hearing of the sounds...





Below is my final sound animation...



No comments:

Post a Comment