Monday 23 February 2015

New Brief: Campaign

We have been given a new brief. In this new brief we had the option of choosing from three different projects. It was a difficult decision to make but in the end I decided to go with the 'campaign' option. The reason for this was because even though I felt and still do feel it would be the most challenging option and probably least fun option to go with, if done correctly it could end up being a very important piece of work. Another reason for me choosing this particular option was because in the past I have often known people who when they think of animation, think of just cartoons for children and I feel that often people don't believe they could be anything more or serve a greater purpose.

I feel if it is handled correctly and is particularly empathetic to the subject matter that the end result could be very successful. After the last project being slightly over ambitious and a bit of a gamble due to how challenging it was. I am a little bit skeptical about picking the option I feel would be the most difficult, but I feel I would also be the most passionate about it and really want to treat the subject matter with respect.

To take on a task like this there are many things I need to take into account. Firstly, the tone. Initially I felt that to create an animation for a charity like Childline that the animation has to be completely serious and completely sad and depressing. But I was given feedback that just because I was creating an advert for a charity, it did not need to be bleak, in fact it could do exactly the opposite and fill people with hope. For example instead of saying 'look at these neglected kids, feel guilty' the animation could make the point 'these kids have been neglected, but here's what YOU can do to help and this is what people like YOU have already done to help...'

The tone of the animation is perhaps one of the most important factors. Obviously it can't be silly. But I have been advised to try to have fun in being creative with the whole thing. I am also very interested in storytelling, which is perhaps the most pivotal part of animation anyway.

After receiving feedback about the initial first stages of the project, I now realise it is pivotal that I research in-depth both charities Amnesty and Childline.

No comments:

Post a Comment