Sunday 8 May 2016

Applied Animation: Lip Syncing

So a lot of our animation is talking, and I mean A LOT, so basically all of it. That's a lot of lip syncing. Luckily I am reasonably confident with lip syncing as I had done it before in first year, and in second with dialogue that was basically backwards-speak so I felt like animating the talking in this animation would not be too much of a problem. What was going to be a problem was the sheer quantity of lip syncing that needed to be done. At the start the process was slow, this was because I was working frame by frame, I'd play the dialogue on Premiere, hear a sound then draw the mouth movement to fit the sound, then create a new layer, duplicating the previous frame pretty much entirely apart from I would alter the mouth.


Whenever I would finish with the frame I would also call it the name of the sound it was replicating, for example 'Layer 1 i'. Once I was around twelve frames in I had basically created all the mouth movements so all I needed to do was if I needed an 'o' for example is simply search the layers I had previously made and find an 'i', Naming the layers like this proved to be incredibly important and time efficient, furthermore, animating all the secondary movement first such as head scratching or head turns was also very useful because it meant I could simply dive straight into these frames and simply insert mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment