Thursday 28 January 2016

Responsive: LoopDeLoop Sisters - Designing the Characters

When thinking about the visual aesthetic of this animation I was intrigued about working with different techniques that I usually do, for example instead of using lines, have no outlines and just make the characters shapes. I did like this idea, but unfortunately it took me so long to figure out how to draw and compose each of these shapes, I felt animating them would be simply too difficult and time consuming.

The above image is about as far as I got with working with shapes. Don't get me wrong, I was really liking the results but felt that figuring out how to animate with these shapes would be far too time consuming. I would still love to attempt an animation with this style but with this project, due to time constraints I really felt I had to animate the quickest way possible. 

So these were the final designs...


It is a pretty similar visual aesthetic to how I usually work but it's a technique I know and am comfortable with and with a brief where I have less than a month to submit I feel working in this way is a wise choice. I tried to make the sisters look different but also since they are on screen for less than a minute, make it obvious to the audience that they are sisters. So the studying sister has a wider more circular head and the annoying sister, I gave a taller more narrow head. But they both have similar eyes and large eyebrows.

Furthermore since I only had thirty seconds of screen time to work with, with basically no actual dialogue, I wanted each of the way they look to compliment their personalities. Therefore the studying sister wears an oversized male hooded jumper with the hood up, even when indoors to indicate her being slightly shy and more quiet meaning in her personality she likes to study. Yet I gave her eye-liner and spiky hair to show that she's a bit of a punk.

Whereas with the annoying sister, she wears slightly more revealing clothes, to show she is less shy, and has longer hair to show she is more 'girly'. Essentially, she is basically modelled after Emma Watson's character from the film The Bling Ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment