Friday 29 January 2016

Responsive: LoopdeLoop Sisters - Animating

Now I had my final character designs, I knew I wasn't really going to need much in the way of backgrounds as the animation was going to be mainly black and white so I could start animating. The idea was to have the annoying sister talk loudly on the phone while the other sister attempts and fails to concentrate on her studying. For dialogue, I recorded my sister pretending to talk on the phone in a kind of gossipy style.

But I felt even though it was well acted that I needed to do something to the dialogue to make it more interesting, so I rewound it so it would play backwards. The results I felt were very successful as it now sounded very strange and surreal, yet it still sounded like a loud sister gossiping on the phone to her friend. Plus I like to think of it as 'cartoon-speak' like how Sims sound on the game Sims. It also makes it easier to watch again since it is on a loop, it's annoying after a while, but that is intended and I also feel it makes it more interesting.

I had animated dialogue before so I had had experience, but animating backwards dialogue was a hole lot harder. Last year when I animated dialogue in my PPP Dream animation, the dialogue was a lot slower and I also knew the words that were being said which made it easier to animate. But with this dialogue, where the words make no sense at all, figuring out how the mouth movements should look was a whole lot harder.
Furthermore I felt it was necessary to incorporate secondary movement in these talking scenes, this was difficult to time with the mouth movements but I felt it would make the character appear more life-like if not only her mouth is moving. I conducted secondary research by analysing how people, in particular females talk on the phone. I also asked females ho they talk on the phone and my findings suggested that they would use minor movements, such as feet twitching and playing with hair. After incorporating these secondary movements into my animation I felt the results were very successful in bringing the character to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment