Wednesday 13 April 2016

Responsive: The Weekly News

The Weekly News is a newspaper that has a readership of around fifty thousand and they also accept contributions for gag cartoons. These contributions can come from anyone and how it works is that I would email the editor with around four every week and they would choose which one to accept, sometimes they accept one, sometimes none. I have been doing these gag cartoons for years but it has been only recently that doing these cartoons have benefited my skills in animation. Before I would treat it as a job, admittedly a job I really enjoyed doing, but a job nonetheless. Recently I have used it to develop my drawing skills as every cartoon is different, there is always a different situation and it always involves different characters.

In fact it has helped me develop my skills in drawing from reference.


For example, with the above gag cartoon I needed to find many different images to reference…




Sometimes to me it doesn't even matter if it isn't essential to get reference as it may not benefit the gag. It's more of an excuse to draw a wide variety of things and people. So with the secondary character in the image, I didn't need to find reference for him, I could have just drawn a random guy, but for me this would not develop my drawing skills so I felt I would anyway.

Here are the rest of the recent Weekly News cartoons I've created recently for Responsive...




No comments:

Post a Comment