Wednesday 13 April 2016

Responsive Collaborative: Compositing Frames and Putting Together Our Video



I've discussed the parts of the collaboration where me and Laura could work heavily together. But there were other parts of which I needed to do individually, primarily, the upfront character animation. 

We had discussed the intriguing prospect of me teaching Laura to animate so she could help me animate the upfront animation. This could have proved to be very beneficial considering we were initially going to try to include all the types of fish that are protected by the MSC in our video. But unfortunately, due to time constraints and our conflicting schedules there simply was not enough time. So that meant it was up to me to produce most the upfront character animation, which was fine, I'm an animator, but due to my poor timekeeping skills, it took me a very long time to produce all this animation.

Furthermore, due to time constraints I only ended up being able to animate three types of fish which did fall massively short of the amount we were going for.

Once I had coloured all my frames which was a very time-consuming process, compositing the video together was a very easy process. I did most the compositing using Photoshop and Premiere. I would place my upfront fish character frames on top of Laura's hand painted backgrounds and then import the footage into Adobe Premiere.




From the very start we wanted to incorporate live-action with animation but in the above scene I felt it would be interesting to go that one step further and actually animate live action. So I filmed my own hand doing a stamp motion, inserted this footage onto the computer, print screened various points of the footage, magic wand tooled around the hand and erased the background and then composited these frames into the animation. I feel it looked pretty successful with the hand drawn animation and although it obviously stands out, it makes the footage look more professional and also demonstrates a variety of techniques that have been used.

No comments:

Post a Comment