Wednesday 13 April 2016

Responsive: Evaluation

I have found the Responsive module as a whole to be one of the most challenging of any modules we have undertaken in the past. The reason for this is not really because of the briefs themselves, but the sheer quantity of briefs needed. Also the briefs I've done for the module are all pretty different to each other. Loop De Loop was simple because I knew exactly what kind of animation I wanted to make and how I wanted to animate it, that being traditionally. But in the collaborative brief, things like idea generation and thinking about how to go about an outcome for a brief is far more complicated. The reason for this is because there were two brains at play with slightly different ideas.

The collaborative brief is the one I struggled with the most. I have absolutely zero complaints about working with Laura though. I feel she was an excellent partner because all the while through the development process of the project she was deeply understanding about how time consuming the animation process is, particularly how time consuming the animation process is for me as I'm a slow animator anyway. So I am very glad we worked together because with anyone else the experience might have been a lot more pressurising. I think we can both agree we found this brief to be more challenging than others because of the process of working collaboratively itself. If a brief is individual you can work on it any time you want to, but in a collaboration you have to set aside time that you can both meet up and work on it together.

Furthermore, we originally felt that being housemates would be beneficial to our work process because we would never need to arrange in advance to meet up as we would usually just be in separate rooms in the same building. But this did mean we never really scheduled specific times in advance to work on the project, whenever we decided to work on it it would be a lot more spontaneous and mostly be on the day. With other individual briefs we needed to do and other modules we needed to do, the collaborative brief would and did get left too code to deadline and it did effect us down the line.

I was really happy with how all the final outcomes for all the briefs. Of course I wish we had designated ourselves more time to work on the collaborative brief but I simply did not plan how long the animation process would take to do. Had I chance to do this again and work with the same person I think we would both agree that we would not use the excuse of living in the same building to not produce an effective work schedule and let the vast quantity of the work get left until we were pushed for time.

I have found the module quite intense but I have found it veery beneficial to work with different techniques and processes to go about answering briefs that are all entirely different to each other in a short space of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment