Saturday 4 March 2017

Animating with Adobe Animate CC


I decided that drawing straight onto Animate, of which was my original intention, was going to be too difficult. I decided to go about the animating process by drawing out the roughs my frames by hand on layout paper, and then going over these roughs to create the neat frames on Photoshop. Now, I had been given feedback about working with this method that it might be too time consuming. I have been known in the past to create roughs that are very neat in that I like to perfect them which when I'm working with each individual frame is incredibly time consuming. If I was going to create my roughs by hand and individually scan them, I had to justify my time management by making my roughs as rough as possible. 

They had to serve as a basic template, the neats are where I should put most of my time into. 




I feel like the roughs I've developed for my very first shot in which Lucy (aged 10) is sat bored at her school desk waiting for her dad to pick her up, were pretty basic and I tried hard not to spend too much time on each frame. Drawing the human form and keeping a basic consistency with proportions is a skill of mine within animation so I was able to create these frames very quickly. This skill does get lost a bit when I transfer it over to the computer as I feel less free with a Wacom pen and tablet.


Once I had put all the rough frames into position on Animate I began going over them to create the neats. At first I was a little wobbly as the Smoothing tool takes time to get used to but pretty soon I got the hang of it. After a certain amount of frames drawn I began to really like the line-work I was creating, in fact as a personal preference I liked the line work I was creating in Animate more than the line work I have created in the past when drawing neat frames on Photoshop. 

The Smoothing tool was one I was quite skeptical of, I really did not like the idea of any piece of software 'correcting' my line-work because to me that felt like cheating and that the work I was creating was not entirely created by me. But after trying it out and playing around with the intensities of the setting, I actually found it to be very beneficial to me. Often when drawing on a computer I waste a large amount of time with having to redraw the same line because the line I created is wobbly and does not look right, that is where the smoothing tool came in very handy.

Colouring

Colouring was something I was again skeptical of. At first, colouring on Animate I found to be very tricky and missed the technique that you have on Photoshop of colouring on a multiply layer separate from my line-work layer. I was having trouble and was becoming frustrated. To the point I wanted to abandon the software altogether, furthermore Jazza who had previously solved all my problems with the software with his tutorial did not seem to help and I found that section in the video that talked about colouring confusing. Eventually I found that the problem I was having was an easy fix and once I got the hang of it found that colouring was a far quicker process on Animate than on Photoshop, this will be very beneficial to me with my practice further into the animating process.

No comments:

Post a Comment