Tuesday 14 February 2017

Extended Practice: Modelling the Final House Designs

Creating Flat Image Planes

At this point I had found the two houses I wanted to use to reference for my final designs of the Cops' house and the Nan's house. So with the use of Google Street view I was able to access photography of both houses shot from the front and side to use to reference for creating my flat image planes for Maya.

I had used Maya previously for modelling characters in the Character and Narrative brief in first year. Modelling was the part of using Maya that I had most enjoyed and where my skills in the software lied the most. As I was cautious about time management I knew I needed to play everything to my skills so I wanted to limit my usage of Maya to just the modelling process.

Once I had my reference images I drew the plans of the houses. At this stage of the working process, I had forgotten my Wacom tablet as I was working in Brighton away from it. This actually was beneficial to my work process as it meant I was limited to a mouse so could only create straight lines. I felt that this would benefit me in the Maya modelling process as there is nothing more complicated than curves. 



I had used Maya previous in the collaborative brief Character and Narrative in second year. But that was now more than a year ago and I have a terrible memory, especially with anything technical. Starting was quite difficult, it took me a while to remember what all the controls were and where certain tools were located on the workspace. Luckily I had Maya extraordinaire Dan at my beckoning call who was more than happy to assist with any problem I ran into. 


I did have to restart the modelling of my house multiple times. But, once I had gotten to grips with the modelling process the actual making of the house was incredibly quick and I was thankful that I had provided myself such a simple design to work with. I was also thankful that I had modelled Nan's house first as being a bungalow it was 




No comments:

Post a Comment