Thursday 16 February 2017

Extended Practice: Developing the other Final Character Designs




Creating the final designs of Cop was more complicated having already developed Lucy's final character designs. They needed to of course look like they're related but also have notable differences in their physical characteristics to symbolise the differences in the characters personalities as they grow older. Lucy wears quite bright clothing and Cop wears darker duller clothing. I did not want the reasons for this to be as cliched as Lucy wears bright colours which means she's good, he wears dark colours, that means he's bad. I more wanted it to mean that as an audience we are more drawn to the brighter colours as she is the most important character, it's basically told through her eyes so it's her story. 



I based Cop's look off of actor Shawn Hatosy's character from the American drama series Southland. This is slightly a cop out (pardon the pun) as I'm not even referencing a real cop, I'm referencing an already fictional character. But the reason why I wanted to reference this particular person was because I knew that tons of reference material of him already existed on the Internet so it meant I could focus on making this character's physicality as realistic as possible and not spend loads of time trying to figure out a character design. This way I could play to my strengths by saving time and making sure i can move onto the animation process as soon as possible.
 
I based the look of the Nan off one of my own Nans, she is a similar age and has a similar look to what I imagined the nan in this animation to look like.




I also felt that due to the fact that I actually know her makes her easier to reference than if I were referencing someone I found through secondary research and didn't already know. In terms of her colour palette, of course I wanted the colours she wears to resemble what someone of her age might wear but i also wanted her to serve as an almost middle ground to the two other characters. So the colours she wears are light like what Lucy wears but are also quite dulled to look more like Cop's colour palette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment