Wednesday 9 December 2015

The Potential and Limitations of 3D Modelling and Animation Technologies and Techniques: Part 5

When I first saw the film Avatar I was blown away by the visual effects. I had heard previously that James Cameron had had the idea for years but only decided to actually bring this incredible technically advanced idea to the big screen after seeing Weta's work and Andy Serkis's work on Gollum in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. This was the first and only time I actually thought the 3D gimmick was a good idea and truly believed it helped to serve the film's story and add to the immersive experience. Now looking back to 2009 where the 3D gimmick has never been equalled, I realise that it wasn't the 3D that immersed the audience so heavily into the film, it was the 3D visual effects. These characters that were created by visual effects looked a lot like humans but to me they did not suffer from the uncanny valley effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment