Tuesday 1 December 2015

The Void Animation Project: Animating the Character Jumping

So I've covered walking but there need to be other ways the character interacts with the environment. The objects he is surrounded by are sometimes overwhelmingly larger than himself so in order for him to climb and walk around on these objects he needs to jump. This was a great opportunity for me to incorporate the technique of 'anticipation' into my animation. No one simply just stands on one spot then the next minute is metres into the air. There has to be some anticipation involved. So I animated the character stopping walking, turning to see the coffee cup, bending his legs and jumping to reach the top. See Below…



I was pretty happy with how this bit of animation turned out and I especially liked the idea of having the character swing his legs as a bit of secondary action when his arms grab hold of the top of the cup. Although, if I were to do this section of animation again I would have sped up the duration of how long the character is in the air before he reaches the top of the coffee cup. I feel it is too slow and too unnatural looking. Obviously i can break the laws of physics a bit as he does jump ridiculously high for a character of his size but I think it would be far more believable if the clip is sped up which can easily be done in post production.

No comments:

Post a Comment