Thursday 4 December 2014

Elements Animation Development Process 4

Right so since when I had a final decision about how to animate the girl character on the swing, this is what I've done since.

I had a break from this part of the animation and did some photography. In my animation I had the idea that to further convey the idea of time rapidly passing by, have buildings in the background morph from small run down buildings into brand new modern tall buildings. This was never going to be a central part of my animation because it doesn't really relate to the element earth, but I feel it would give the viewer a better idea of just how much time was passing throughout the twenty seconds.


The Above building was one I spotted across the road from where I live and I felt it would be perfect for my 'before' building because the sign literally tells us it is a place in need of renovation.


Its also good to get an idea of what it would look like if I was to animate it in a nighttime setting.


I was very interested in animating this car park because I felt the transition into a modern tall building would be far smoother as it would be a similar height. 




The above is the first potential candidate for my new building, terrible photo though.




I really liked the above building and spent ages trying to get to it. The darker it got, the better and more futuristic the building looked.


I don't really know when my animation is set, maybe now at the beginning and then ten years in the future. I know I might be trying to cram too many themes into a twenty second animation but I thought it would be interesting to represent the future as more of a utopia than a dystopia. I could have gone down the route of showing rubbish piling up in the streets but I was instead wanting to keep to the basic idea I had at the start to just make something that's pretty to look at.



I also wanted to get some photos of the area I'm planning to reference for where the girl is going to be playing on the swing. Just to figure out exactly how this animated world is going to look, and also how to draw the same landscape at different times of the day.


I was given feedback about my animation and the issue was brought to my attention about where this is going to be set. My teacher Matt said that if the girl drops the dog teddy off the swing and leaves it behind, surely in the space of ten to fifteen years someone else would discover it, kids use swings all the time. I responded to this saying that perhaps the location of thew swing is on an isolated hill, but then Matt replied with the query of what a four year old girl is doing on an isolated hill by herself?

I felt this was a very good point and needed to be addressed. Matt suggested that this problem could be solved by telling this story over a far shorter period of time. Say, instead of ten to fifteen years, have it be a few months. I felt this idea would make a lot more sense, but I was worried that setting my story over a time period this short could run a threat of miss-communicating the idea I was originally going for. Basically that I wanted to show the element of earth changing over a long period of time and then to have the same girl come back to the dog-teddy a lot older and wiser. At an age where she can truly appreciate the things of the past.

That is when I changed my idea of setting the animation on a public hill and switched it to a family's back garden. But I still had the issue of wouldn't the girl just find the bear very soon after. I asked my friend Matt, another Matt, for his advice on the matter. He responded saying he didn't see it as as much of an issue, saying that he has an old trampoline in his back garden that goes months and months without being touched. 

If I can think of a way to solve this issue I would ideally like to keep to the same time period of around ten to fifteen years, but this primary issue of discovering the teddy needs to be addressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment