Friday 12 December 2014

Elements Animation Development Process 7

Okay, so since I last blogged I had been using a computer and specifically Photoshop to create my animation. That meant drawing one quick sketch with pen and paper and then doing the rest on computer. But Matt told me what I needed to hear, I was being way to precise and methodical. He said I might as well have just rotoscoped my footage.

I had to agree, I had spent so much time developing a second of footage, sixty three seconds to be exact and it seemed that the only gain to me doing this was that the final second might look a bit more precise than if I had done it with pen and paper on layout paper.

Anyway immediately after I grabbed loads of layout sheets, put my head down and worked flat out for around three hours drawing frames of the girl jumping off the swing at the end of the cycle. Twelve frames and one second of footage I have now realised that technically I've wasted 63 hours of my life creating the same amount of footage on the computer.

When I played back the hand drawn animation I found that it flowed well and looked as good as what I had done just using Photoshop. Either way its better to learn this late than never. Now I draw all my frames out by hand, scan them into the computer, make sure they flow together and then trace them with the pen tool on Photoshop. Instead of a second a week I will now try to work at a rate of a second a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment