Thursday 4 May 2017

Voice Recording with Wing

I'd already used Dan to voice the character of the Cop in my animation and needed someone to play Lucy. Lucy's role is an essential part of the story and needs to be successfully acted and she is the main focus of the viewer. I ended up choosing Wing in my class to play the character. I don't really know any ten year olds and in fact for this animation, that doesn't matter. The reason for this is because the character ages to be 17 where even though female voices don't break, she needed to sound older as a 17 year old.

Wing turned out to be the perfect choice to play the character and was the nearest sounding voice to a ten year old I was ever going to find. Whether this was more successful than getting two actors in, one that's 10 to play her younger, and one that's 17 to play her older, sadly I won't know. Although I do know that finding two voices that sound realistically similar would be a mammoth task that would simply be too time inefficient.

Wing did a very good job with the voice acting, considering once again with Dan, I struggled to direct particularly clearly. I've spent quite a bit of time in the sound-booth, but usually it's behind the mic doing voice acting, not at the computer directing people to do the voice acting. I'd say I'm very comfortable with voice acting and essentially like to just riff and take the material presented to me and give whoever gave it to me my own spin. However I am aware that not everyone is as comfortable behind the mic as me and needs more direction. I was very open to Wing basically acting out her own ideas and there was many times she did exactly this, however she felt like it was important to be acting out exactly what I had envisioned and when there is no actual dialogue, this is easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment