Thursday 4 May 2017

Extended Practice: Scoring - Taking inspiration from Ludovico Einaudi and Markus' Demo Score

I had sent Markus an updated version of my animatic with my updated footage and newly added foley. On Six Music I heard the track I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi and this gave me an idea I could feedback to Markus. Even though I felt like we were on the same page in terms of tone I felt like I had not been too clear on exactly what type of music was needed for the animation, this is due to the fact that I wasn't too sure and was basically up for Markus using his creativity.
However once I heard this clip I was reminded of something he said to me that was that he could take a clip that I liked that already existed and create something that evokes the same emotions. And that's what I got from I Giorni, I felt like that track or something like that track would fit my animation very well. I sent that track to Markus to see what he thought about creating something that consisted of just a piano riff. He replied that he can give it ago and that that would actually make his life easier.

A few days later he sent me a demo track. I instantly really liked it, it was subtle yet playful and fluctuated in tone really well with what was occurring on screen without being too obvious.

Feedback from fellow animation students on the track

I asked my fellow animation students to give me feedback on what they thought of the soundtrack and how well it worked with the animation. I wanted to do this because I'm not really an expert when it comes to sound design, I know what I like and think I can hear a track and understand whether it works or doesn't work just about. However, I am aware that music is subjective, just because a certain track works for me, it may not necessarily work for other people.

Lauren really liked the music and thought it went really well with the animation, as did Wing... 'I think it is edited perfectly. It matches the scenes like when the girl grows up! Have both calm and dramatic elements so it works well for your animation!' Ollie also thought the music was successful, however believed it needed more ambient sound. I agreed with this and decided it was always going to be slightly difficult to judge how well the soundtrack works, if not all the foley sound is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment