Friday 24 April 2015

Applied Animation Development: The Long Overdue Return to the Drawing Board

In the last three weeks I was unable to do a lot of work on my ChildLine animation due to working 9 to 6 full time at the garden centre all easter break to save money thus when I got home everyday my brain would not be up for animating from scratch so instead I coloured frames from my Elements Animation so it meant I'd still be doing work. 

That three weeks working did take a significant chunk out of the time that could have been used working on the Child line animation. But I'm free now so am able to dedicate far more of my time to this animation as it has been neglected.

My first course of action was to figure out where I'd gotten up to with my animation. This reminded me of the wall I had hit. The only animation I had actually put together was a movement that comes close to the end of my animation where the girl finally hits rock bottom and goes from standing up against a wall to kneeling in a sort of panic position where to her all hope is lost. 



I had first animated this with pencil on layout paper and even though animating from one  key frame to the other was very tricky, particularly because I had to reposition the frames in Photoshop after, the end results I feel were largely successful and even though it was slightly rough looking, overall it flowed nicely.

I then went back attempting to neaten out the frames but then I kept editing it because I found that as I persistently watched it back, I would find inconsistencies such as the girls arm would stretch or her hand would grow. After I spent a huge amount of time editing and  making sure all her dimensions were consistent I played it back. The results, the good flow was no longer there and she looked too robotic. 


After that I guess i had just just lost enthusiasm for the whole thing and just decided to take a break a from it. But now I've come back to it I've officially stopped worrying about minor inconsistencies and have now decided to focus on making the whole thing flow well.

No comments:

Post a Comment