Friday 24 April 2015

ChildLine Animation Development: the incorporation of lego and the everlasting struggle against background design

I'd wanted to animate with lego for a long time. I'd been a long time admirer of the Michel Gondry directed White Stripes music video Fell in Love With a Girl and always wondered why there weren't other videos in that Lego style. Yes, I know there are many lego movies on YouTube but the style I'm talking about uses no actual Lego men and instead everything is built with actual bricks, including the people.



I don't have the time or the cash to animate a full animation with lego alone but I felt some incorporation of it would be cool.

That is when I had the idea that the lego could be the background. At the start of the animation, the background is made up of a generally muted use of colours, but a few bright bricks here and there. (This represents I feel the world we live in. Initially I was going to have it that the background would be made up of multi coloured bricks but that to me represents a magical fairytale world we live in. Not the real one, that isn't entirely dark and depressing but also isn't all sunshine and lollipops either.

Then when the bubble appears from her stomach in the background it is represented as a bubble of grey bricks that slowly start to take over. I liked the idea that she is also somewhat transparent, representing her mood but whether that will work is another thing. I'll experiment and if it works great and if it doesn't I'll rotoscope the background from the footage I filmed, this would take longer but might still look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment